Thursday 24 February 2011

Diane Borsato

One of Borsato's piece of work is a collection of photographs and text called 'Touching 1000 people.'

'Performance intervention and photographs

Montreal/Vancouver, 2003

DESCRIPTION
I read a study that suggested that when people are subtly touched, it can affect their behaviour and well being. For a month I went out of my way to delicately bump, rub past, and tap 1000 strangers in the city. I touched commuters, shoppers, cashiers and taxi cab drivers on the street, on the metro, in shops and in museums. The exercise was like a minimalist performance. I was exploring the smallest possible gesture, and how it could create an effect in public.

The action was performed for one month in various locations in Montreal in 2001, and repeated for ten days across the city of Vancouver in 2003.'

This performance piece has inspired me to create my own performance piece by using my knowledge of Shomar Nagia to not touch or talk to any males for a certain period of time. I will document it using photography and video and text. I want to try and feel the significance of Shomar Nagia by doing this. However before I begin this I want to understand the importance of the law and understand why people who follow this law do it.

Borsato's work seems to have an underlying message to it about how human connection makes you feel and the importance of it therefore contrasting to my work. However our intentions to challenge ourselves are both similar which is why her work inspires me.










No comments:

Post a Comment